Sunday, September 30, 2012

Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich

Chicken Curry Salad

I love curry.... and I love chicken salad. So I wanted to combine them. I looked around on the internet for a good recipe, but didn't find anything that was perfect. I did however find some great ideas. The recipe makes a huge portion, so it is great for parties or to make on Monday for lunches during the week. A great thing about chicken salad is that it can be COMPLETELY customizable. Want more grapes or no apple? How about celery and shredded carrots? Whatever you want in the salad can be added. Follow your buds! This is how I like my curry chicken salad... I think you will enjoy it just the same!










Chicken Curry Salad:
  • 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 ribs of celery, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 3/4 cups red grapes, sliced in half
  • 3/4 cups green apple, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3/4 slivered almonds
  • 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
   
Place the chicken breasts in a large pot of lightly salted water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 - 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove chicken and let cool. Chop or shred the (personally I like the shredded style better) chicken into bite-sized pieces.
  
Combine the mayonnaise, heavy cream, curry powder, salt, and black pepper. Whisk to combine.

 
 
Place all your chopped goodies in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over them and mix together with a spatula or wooden spoon. (I like to start with only half of the dressing first and then pour small amounts in until everything is just covered).

While the chicken salad mixture is sitting, cut a long baguette into thirds. Slice each third in half, horizontally. I like to scoop a little of the middle bread out of the bottom half. It creates a little well for the chicken salad to sit in and makes my sandwich bigger. Once the bread is ready, begin placing the chicken salad on the baguettes. Seriously, these sandwiches are awesome! The chicken salad ON ITS OWN was great.
 
I served this with a simple green salad on the side It was a perfect pairing. And, yes, you can put a scoop of this chicken salad on top of your favorite lettuce to make a great salad!


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment