Thursday, February 21, 2013

Apple Raisin Cinnamon Granola

Granola is one of those overly addicting foods.  You know... the kind where you finally have to tell someone to take it away from you because you are in danger of eating an entire jar of it.  At least its healthy, right?  Well... sometimes.  I was browsing the bulk section of my local supermarket and couldn't stop freaking out about how much sugar was in a serving.  Seriously, go check it out, suddenly you will realize that you have been eating candy why the store bought stuff is so yummy.

Don't worry, I wouldn't deliver such terrible news without a solution.  Homemade granola.  Not only is this healthier, it is cheaper.  Can you say win-win?  Well I can... and after this granola, I'm not going back.  

Want more good news?  Granola can be whatever you want it to be.  Don't like raisins?  Use cranberries.  Not feeling like sunflower seeds?  Substitute pepitas for them.  The possibilities are endless.  

Personally, apples, raisins, and cinnamon were made to create sweet granola clusters.  Eat it however you want; over yogurt with some sliced fruit or in a bowl with soy milk.  No matter how you eat this stuff, it's meant to be devoured.  You won't feel sorry and you won't feel terrible after eating it.  Like I said... win-win.

Apple Raisin Cinnamon Granola
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes, plus time for cooling
Makes: 5 cups
Inspired by Ina Garten

  • 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not quick or steel cut) ** gluten free can be used
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup dried apples, chopped
  • 3/4 cups seedless raisins
  • 1/4 cup oil (vegetable, coconut, sunflower seed, grape, etc.)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
** I doubled this recipe because I love it and can't get enough.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium bowl, combine the oats, seeds, apples, and raisins.
In a smaller bowl, whisk the oil and honey together.
Pour over the oat mixture and sprinkle the cinnamon over the top.
Combine everything together until thoroughly covered.

Spread the mixture onto a sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally, for 25 - 30 minutes (I stir the mixture two to three times.)  
The granola should be a beautiful shade of golden brown.  While the granola is cooling, continue to stir occasionally (this helps those clumps that you can't stop snacking on.) 

Once the granola is cool, store it in an airtight container.  If you are like me, the granola is great on its own, but best when topping some yogurt with orange or grapefruit segments. How ever you enjoy this... ENJOY!

   


Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. I've never made my own granola before, but it's something I've been meaning to do for a while. This looks absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a lot of granola, but this seems the best and easiest recipe. The only thing I change is that the raisins sometimes burn so I leave it to add at the end. But I like it that way too. Like the crust of a cookie :). My family complains about them. Perhaps I bake it too long. I live abroad and I am hoping I can find dried apples... Thank you so much for your recipes!!!!

    ReplyDelete