Friday, January 18, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls with Orange Cardamom Glaze

Here in Southern California, citrus is in its peak season.  Sooo... I have been eating a million oranges lately.  I guess the fact that they are super cheap at the store plays a role here too.  Honestly though, it's become an obsession.  I have at least a couple a day.  Totally not vitamin C deficient over here!  I have to admit something about my orange eating habits.  I like the pith.  You know… that white bitter stuff.  The stuff that other people feverishly try to remove.  Yeah… I'm strange.  Maybe I need to be on that strange addiction show.  You now the one where people eat chalk and drink bleach? (obviously I watch too much reality TV).  Maybe i'm not that bad, but someone keep an eye on me… alright?  Truth is, I like to eat all the pith off then eat the actual sweet stuff.  It's not bad.  In fact it has the same amount of vitamin C as the actual orange pieces.
These cinnamon rolls are exactly what you crave but with just the right amount of twist.  Citrus twist, I mean.  The dough is soft and fluffy while the filling has just the right amount of cinnamon.  The orange citrus taste pairs perfectly with the slightly citrus-y, but floral, cardamom.  It is the perfect amount of exotic while still being familiar.  The next time you want your house to smell inviting, warm, and slightly exotic ,make these.  Make a lot of these.

Cinnamon Rolls with Orange Cardamom Glaze
Active Time: 1 hr 20 min
Total Time: 2 hr 40 min
Makes: 20 - 25 rolls
Inspired by Food Network Magazine: May 2012

Ingredients

For the dough:
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 4 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt

For the filling:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, melted 
  • 2 heaping tbsp of cinnamon
  • 1 cup granulated sugar

For the glaze:
  • 1 lb of powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

For the rolls:
  
 
Heat the milk, vegetable oil, and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat.  DO NOT BOIL.  Set the mixture aside so it can cool slightly.  Sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit for a minute.  Add 4 cups of flour (reserving the other half a cup for a later use) and stir until it is just combined.
Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm place (I ALWAYS put my stuff in the oven.  I also go up to every person in my house making sure they don't try to use the oven.  Wieeeerrrdo!)  Keep here for an hour.
After an hour, remove the towel and add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup flour.  Stir this thoroughly to combine.

Take the dough from the bowl and dump onto a floured surface.  Roll this out into a large rectangle 10x30 inches (long side facing you).
Pour the melted butter onto the dough.  Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on top.  Don't be shy... in this case, more equals better.
  
Grab the dough at the point farthest from you.  Begin to roll the dough tightly towards you.  Use both hands if you have to.  When finished, pinch the seam together.
Cut the log into slices that are about 1 1/2 inches thick. Butter any baking dish you want (I use a 9x13 inch pan) and place the rolls in cut side up.  The pan will have empty spots so don't be tempted to overcrowd the pan.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Place a kitchen towel over each pan and let rise on the counter for 20 minutes (those empty spots should be filled up a little now).  Once risen, bake for 13 to 17 minutes, or until golden brown.  Make sure they do not over brown.

For the glaze:
Whisk together the powdered sugar, cardamom, orange juice, and butter.  The glaze should be thick, but pourable.  If it is too thick for you, add 1 Tbsp of orange juice at a time until it is perfect.  (I did not use all of the powdered sugar.  I add half and then sprinkle more in until I get my desired consistency).
While the rolls are still hot, generously pour the glaze on top. The rolls will soak up some of the yumminess.

Time to enjoy!!!



Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. Girl, you probably have the best immune system right now!!! Plus you are probably "glowing" from all the oranges your consuming! Thees cinnamon rolls sound AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I think it has worked out in my advantage :-).

      Delete
  2. YUM, these look fantastic! Although you can eat my pith any day of the week - that part is usually too bitter for my taste buds. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really lovely, I have to wait another six months before citrus starts happening here in Australia. I can't wait to try making the glaze for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always use orange juice, but fresh oranges are my preference.

      Delete
  4. Cardamom & orange is one of my favorite flavor combinations (and it's good with chocolate too!). I wish I didn't mind the pith on oranges--I can't even have a speck of it on mine and it takes me forever to eat any citrus fruit because of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I never would have thought to add cardamom to cinnamon rolls, and I'm doing a forehead bop over here because it's such a perfect combination. Yum.

    I loathe the pith, I'd say liking it is definitely a blessing! My mother-in-law ate orange peels when she was pregnant. Can't comprehend that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is funny that you like the pith - I've always avoided it! I love oranges and get addicted to them too...I especially get hooked on those little mandarins - the Cuties - could pop em in my mouth all day long! Your cinnamon rolls look fantastic and the orange cardamom glaze sounds incredible!!

    ReplyDelete