Thursday, March 21, 2013

Vegan Banana Pancakes

I have the worst habit of going to the store for things I need and forgetting at least half of it.  Please, tell me this is not just me.  One of the worst things (second, mayyybe to doing dishes) is having to go back to the same store.

In most cases, I suck it up and make the trek back to grab these forgotten items.  However, there are those times when I am just waaay  too lazy to get out of my onezie pajamas.  Speaking of onezie, have the rest of you seen this too??  I'm confused, really.

It does not always work out like I would hope, but lucky for us... it worked out, big time.


Let's talk about what I had,  two over ripe bananas and rice milk. What I was missing, well... eggs, cow's milk, and butter.  Obviously vegan was the way to go in this situation.
I think I have mentioned this before, but Tay loves and I mean LOVES breakfast, meaning we do it up on the weekends.  I started putting ideas together in my head and figured I could substitute the bananas for eggs and the rice milk for the liquid BINGO!

The end result?  The monkeys would love 'em because they are some super banana-y pancakes.  You can adjust the amount of rice (or almond) milk depending on how thick you want the pancakes, personally I like them a little thick. If I messed with these even more I might sprinkle some raisins over the top or oooh sunflower seeds?  No matter how you eat these, they are good.

Vegan Banana Pancakes

Time : 30 minutes
Makes: 6 - 8 pancakes
Serves: 3 - 4

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups flour (you can replace up to 1/2 a cup with whole wheat)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup mashed bananas (1 large or 2 small)
  • 1 cups rice, soy, coconut or almond milk
  • 3 Tbsp oil (there are quite a few choices here, use what you like... mm.. coconut?)
Pour the flour, salt, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder in a large bowl and combine.
Mash the bananas (if you haven't done so already)
Mix in the bananas and, in my case, rice milk.  Stir until combined. 
Let the pancake batter sit for 5 minutes before using. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees. 
Heat a large skillet (or if you are lucky and have a griddle) with 1-2 Tbsp of the oil over medium heat.  Once the pan is hot add a 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.  Cook until bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pancakes.  
Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.  Remove panckaes and place on a baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.  Add remaning oil as needed and continue to cook pancakes until all the batter is gone.  
Serve with maple syrup or dusted with powdered sugar.  

Enjoy!!




Print Friendly and PDF

19 comments:

  1. Oh I feel ya, girl, I feel ya....onesie and all! I always have big plans for the grocery store and get side tracked so easily that I always walk away without a key ingredient. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't live 15 minutes from the store and I'd rather be hanging out in my jammers. Your panclocks look teeerriffic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I live maaybe 5 minutes from the store and still can't make it back at times.

      Delete
  2. I love it! It's like a morning version of banana bread :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM, these look fantastic! And I'm infamous for forgetting the one key ingredient needed every time I go to the store - there's many days I've had to go back to that same store twice in one day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a genius! These look so delicious and perfect! Clearly it was fate that made you forget eggs, milk, and butter at the store. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 4 year old recipe for vegan banana coconut oil pancakes that you just reminded me about. Need to dust off..or just try these. Gorgeous job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Banana pancakes are always good!

      Delete
  6. I've been making an effort to try more vegan cooking lately, and these pancakes look like a fabulous place to take my next step! I love how fluffy they look, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yumm!!! I love the idea of bananas in the batter! These pancakes really look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The bananas definitely add a ton of flavor!

      Delete
  8. I'm so pumped about making these in the morning! I have all the stuff AND I just recently went vegan, so this recipe is a HUGE help! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I'm so glad that this helps!! You made my day. Enjoy!!!

      Delete
    2. Update: I loved em, my son loved em, even more impressive my boyfriend loved em!!

      Delete
    3. Awesome! Glad to hear they were a hit.

      Delete
  9. I do not understand why I need to preheat the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it so that I have a warm place to put my pancakes while I finsh cooking them all. It is totally optional.

      Delete
  10. Amazing, they're so bananey! I made a crêpe-style pancake with the leftover batter, and used it for an almond butter taco. So good. Coconut oil gave them a nice coconut essence.

    ReplyDelete